Ok, I guess I have time to write this now if I have time to comment on people's Facebook status. Today's lecture was about sugar. It's one of our longer lectures in baking. I'm not going to say it was boring, but I am pretty impressed I managed to not nod off. It could have been the sugar taste test we were doing while Chef was talking. Once lecture was done, Chef demoed the soft ball stage of sugar, then took it to the caramel stage and made hazelnut praline and showed us how to make caramel cages and the hair-thin strands used to decorate cakes. It was a pretty cool demo. After that, she showed us how to do a crumb layer of frosting. This is a really thin layer of your frosting that is there to keep the crumbs from going into your presentation layer of frosting. Once this thin layer is on you need to stick it in the fridge to harden. While that was chilling, she showed us how to fill the center of a cake...pretty basic. She then took the cake with the thin layer our and showed us how to properly frost a cake. After that, we were on our own to practice frosting and piping. I practiced the basket weave more than anything because I like that a lot and have never done it. We were free to do what we wanted (as you could tall in the previous post!).
Needless to say, all we had to eat at that point was SUGAR!!! The assistant made us pizza and some of us ordered Greek food for lunch so we could have real food. I also got my baking quiz back. I received a 92. I was really expecting a B+ so I am happy to take the 92 and run.
Tonight was the first night of the Food Management Seminar. It's tough by Chef Jim, my Food Basics teacher. We started our by taking a quiz right off...this is the way Chef Jim is, so people from his class were fine with it. However, we have this seminar with the Pastry people and they almost shit a brick. Hello....the first question is 'What is your name?'...which Chef Jim kept saying as long as you answered question 1 right, you got a 100. They still didn't get it, so he had to boil it down to saying, if you are here, you got a 100 on this first quiz. I don't know if all classes are like ours, but we don't really like the pastry people. Don't know why, we just find them annoying. Anyways, we are having a quiz at the beginning of each class. Today we talked mostly about the food service industry and at the end we talked about our group project. It's pretty cool. We have to come up with a food industry concept (most likely a restaurant). Come up with a press release, menu, recipes and present everything on the last class. He let us pick our own groups and my class just stuck together. It will make it easy to meet up since we can have up to 3 hours if our Baking Class gets out early until the time the seminar starts. I think we will do a really kick-ass job. One of the girls on my team said she wanted to do a brothel restaurant with one of the item menus being called a 'Double Bagger'....she's the one that made the dog poop cake! We may have to tighten the reigns on her a little bit!!
Today's Recipes:Sugar in the form of Buttercream!
No comments:
Post a Comment