I start up classes again on Monday. For the last month, I have been dying to get back to school. I miss the hours of cooking in a commercial kitchen and I really miss the people in my class. They are a great bunch and it's nice to have people with the same passion as you. To focus on school more and to make it easier to fulfill some requirements (event credits) I have decided to not work Fridays anymore. This last semester I am going to focus on the finer details like my resume, building relationships with the administrators at the school and doing everything in my power to set myself up for success before the year is up.
I failed myself this summer. I set a goal before the first semester let out to look for a job and have it by the time this second semester started. I simple didn't do anything to achieve that goal. The only reason was because I was scared. I've never been in a position like this before. I feel like employers won't take me seriously. I have no idea how a commercial kitchen runs...why would anyone hire me? This semester I am going to kick some ass, get the references I need and get the job I deserve and know I am fully capable of doing!!
I was just looking at what types of classes I have in store for me and I am so excited! The lab classes are: Classical French, Provencal French, Haute Cuisine, Garde Manger, Nouvelle, Cuisine, American, Asian and Fusion. The seminars include: Food History (really giddy for this!), Nutrition, Recipe Writing, Cheese, Coffee, Tea and ICE SCULPTURE (sweet!!).
At the end of the semester, there are 3 biggies I need to focus on. The written exam, which I am pretty sure covers all 37 weeks. The final practicum, which differs from my mid-term practicum as they only give you the name of the dish - no ingredients or anything...you are really on your own knowledge for this one! The last, but best, is the creative practicum. This is a dish you make on your own. Something no one has ever seen before. I have an idea, but need to work on it to see if it will be successful, but I do need to start thinking of backups just in case!
As I am writing this, I am thinking about the end already. I'm really going to miss this experience. I'll miss being a student, I've always like being a student. Here's hoping it will all pay off!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment