Monday, June 1, 2009

Lazio




We started the class today with our 1st (and last)quiz of Italy. We will have a final exam on the 20th for everything we learned during the 6 weeks of Italian. The quiz wasn't terribly difficult, but it was not set up the same way as our Food Basics and Baking quizzes. Plus, the 'review' by the chefs was not nearly as helpful. I know I didn't get an A on it, but I will be happy with the B that I pulled given the lack of studying I did for it. Next week I will have the exact grade, if we all got a certain question maybe Chef Adrian won't count it against us, the same way Chef Jim would throw out questions if we all didn't get it. That may be the only way I get an A.

Today I made the dessert. It was a ricotta souflee with citron and candied orange peel. It was served with a raspberry coulis. It was a really easy recipe that could be done ahead of time. Those are always my favorites to do in class, because once I am done, I can watch what everyone else is doing. I had to let my desserts cool, but I didn't let them cool completely (since I wasn't instructed that way). When I unmolded them, the bottom stuck. It was ok though, because I had the raspberry coulis to cover it up. I left one in the fridge to cool down as an individual presentation and that came out clean since it was cold. Ok, lesson learned on that one! The food today was really good. It was still relatively simple, nothing too fancy.

Tomorrow I have my wine exam. I think I will study for this one and try to pull a high A. I received my 'up-to-date' grade in the mail and am at a 91.98 so far. So, if I do get a B on my Italian quiz, the grade from the wine exam should pull me up from that.


Today's Recipes:Olive Condite Di Montefiascone, Suppli al Telefono, Carciofi alla Romana, Tortino di Crespelle, Saltimbocca all Romana, Funghi della Mia Mamma, Asparagi al Forno, Insalata di Peperoni, Budino di Ricotta, Tozzetti

No comments:

Post a Comment