Monday, January 26, 2009

Soufflé



Today we talked about soufflés. This class was a continuation of last week's egg theme. There were 4 savory soufflés and 4 sweet/dessert soufflés. I worked with another girl and we made the Amarene (Wild Cherry) Soufflé (1st picture) and the Savory Vegetable Soufflé (2nd picture). We had a 2 hour lecture about how to cook them. A lot of people are scared to cook them since there is a perception that they are hard to keep perfect. It's not hard to cook them, they just need to be eaten as soon as they are out of the oven. You also want to make sure that you have everything set before you whip the egg whites. Once you have the egg whites whipped to a stiff peak, there is no turning back. So, yes, I had to whip egg whites to a stiff peak today. It took a little while even though I was using a copper bowl. My arm was killing me! In today's class I felt pretty confident and every thing seemed to flow together nicely. It was a pretty calm day. Everyone seemed to be in sync and there were no major issues. We also discussed what we can expect to see on our quiz next week. This will be our first Food Basics quiz. It should be pretty short since it will only cover 3 classes. Chef Jim is very good at making sure we know what we should know. I am pretty confident I will do well on it.
Today's Recipes: Cheese Souffléd Roulade with Ham Salad, Watercress and Cheddar Soufflé, Four 'Lily' Sweet Potato and Gruyere Soufflé, Savory Vegetable Soufflé, Banana Chocolate Soufflés with Chocolate Cinnamon Sauce, Amarene (Wild Cherry) Soufflé, Lemon Souffléd Pudding with Blueberry Sauce, Creme Caramel

No comments:

Post a Comment