Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Commercial Baking




Yet another failure in baking for me! I was assigned a chocolate round cookie recipe which did not take long to execute, so chef gave me a macaroon recipe to do. The batter ended up being too thin and would not do what we wanted it to do. I was so pissed off that I refused to even touch it again. Chef wanted me to fix it by adding more almond paste to thicken it up. I told her I needed to stay away from it for a while for my sanity. I really hate baking, but I despise baking with almond paste. That stuff is disgusting. So she eventually asked if she could have someone else fix it...of course I said yes! That's what I wanted to hear from her mouth the whole time! Anyways, my chocolate cookies came out really well, so that made me happy. They are essentially a shortbread cookie and I don't like that texture, but Derek really did.

We didn't really do much other than bake in mass quantities. It was a really short class. The fun really began during seminar which was garnishing. We had the cutest little Asian chef to teach us how to make roses out of radishes and things like that. The best part of the night was making the 3 fish in the mushroom. I totally mastered that and will use in on my practicum plate on Tuesday!

Today's Recipes:Ham and Cheese Scones, Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, Congo Bars, Peanut Butter Brownies, Molasses Ginger Crisps, Double Chocolate Round Cookies, Muffins of all kinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment