Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sauces


Today's class was a review class for us. We focused on the Mother Sauces that we would have to know for the practicum. We didn't have any set recipes in our binder, we would just cook whatever they had in purchasing and that went with the sauces we were making. We pulled some salmon, t-bones, and made french fries. Everyone made every sauce for practice. I am more than comfortable making a mayonnaise, so I hope I get a dish with that for the practicum.

The highlight of the day was that purchasing had FIDDLEHEAD FERNS!!! Talk about back in the day! They weren't nearly as big as the ones dad and I used to pick and they aren't as good with out the marinade and the Townhouse Cracker underneath! Still nice to see them though.

We discussed our Practicum a lot. We will have half our cards as savory and half our cards will be sweet (pray for me to pull a savory! Preferably a braise). They will have the name of the dish and the ingredients and their measurements. When we pull our card, we sit down and write our our method for cooking the dish. We then bring that to the proctor so they can inspect it and make sure we will not make a fool of ourselves when we start cooking. Once we have their approval, we make the dish for 1 serving. The proctor will bring it up to 2 'judges'. Most of our grade comes from the dish we serve and how it tastes, however, our proctor will be watching us and our kitchen performance and we will be graded on that too. I am a little nervous, but not too bad. I think Saturday I may practice, but on Monday we have free range to practice whatever we want, so that will really help me out a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment