Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Gelatin/Bavarian


We were warned that this would be a pain in the ass class. For me, it was, but not because of the gelatin or Bavarian, but because of a damn genoise. A simple stinking cake. I had to make a genoise as the base to my Bavarian. You whip the eggs over a double boiler just until the increase in volume and turn to a pale yellow. Well, I cooked mine way too long. It was so thick after I mixed in the flour. I had to split it in between 2 cake pans. Normally you have 2 cakes that are about 2 inches high...I had 2 cakes that equalled half an inch. Needless to say, I did the recipe again. The time I was more successful and I ended up being glad that I did it again, so I know the technique. To make the gelatin for the top of the cake, you can use 1 of 2 types of gelatin. There is the powder kind, which you add water too until it's the consistency of applesauce, then apply heat to make it a smooth liquid when you are ready to use or you can use the gelatin sheets which you just add to water to soften them, then they dissolve in whatever you put them in. I used the powder. The flavor of my gelatin was peach. The peaches they gave us, from the can, were not sweet at all. My final product was pretty boring. I should have added another fruit to bump up the flavor. Oh well, it's only baking!

We also had a quiz, which I got a 100 on. I needed that since I got an 88 on the Food Basics quiz the week before. Since this was suppose to be a 'hard' class, I think we did well seeing as there were no major disasters.

Today's Recipes:Tangerine and Vanilla Bavarian, Hazelnut Chocolate Mocha Torte Brunelleschi, Chocolate Bavarian with Bitter Orange Sauce, Bavaroise Rubane, Blanc Mange, Apple and Calvados Bavarian, Creme Fraise Bavarian, Coffee Mousse, Cherry 'Jell-o'

No comments:

Post a Comment