Today's class I could have done without. Everyone seemed to be off today and it make for a very long day. I think we are kind of frustrated that American seems to be cheesy and a waste of our time and money. The dish I got was the crab salad. It was extremely easy and was good because it had a lot of cilantro! After I finished my dish was when things went from bad to worse. One of my classmates had attempted to make a mayonnaise at least 3 times with no success. I ended up making it for him (we think the he was using had some issues, so we used a different oil). Then, I offered to make the biscuits knowing that I didn't give a damn at how they turned out. I threw them in the oven and let them bake. While that was doing on, two other classmates were making a coconut cake with a meringue frosting. They made the meringue frosting too early, so they had to keep it working in the Kitchen Aid for about an hour until they were ready to frost the cake. It had literally turned out like fluff it was so stiff! They ended up butchering the shape of the cake when they tried to frost it. Then, I noticed another student had a baguette toasting under the salamander. Not even 2 seconds after I saw him check on it I scanned the room and saw flames coming from that area. At first I though 'Oh, pretty', then I realized his bread was on fire! This is the point where I remembered I had biscuits in the oven. I ran to them and thankfully they weren't burnt (well, maybe the bottom) but they were as hard as hockey pucks. They ended up going right in the trash. I kindly reminded the teacher that my original dish came out perfect and that the biscuits were just for fun. The inside wasn't bad and I could see where there were layers in the dough, so I was happy enough. We were also making Hush Puppies that day which led to people calling my biscuits Kill-a-Puppies since they were so hard! By this time we were shot. My classmate was using a microplane to remove the burnt top of his bread, we were full of fried, fatty food and just plain tired. It was nice to see the end of the day! At least we can laugh!!
Crab Salad
Ribs
No comments:
Post a Comment